- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat and whisk in flour. Cook for a minute or two until the flour just starts to color.
- Slowly whisk in milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer and continue cooking 2-3 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cheese and blend well.
- Add egg yolk mixture and blend well.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Oysters Rockefeller Gratin
- Prepare Mornay sauce and set aside.
- Drain oysters into a large bowl, straining and reserving the liquor. Set aside.Melt butter in a skillet. Saute the garlic for a few minutes to infuse the butter. Place the panko in a small bowl and add half of the garlic butter, olive oil, Parmesan, parsley and tarragon. Set aside.
- Add the shallots and spinach to the remaining garlic butter in the skillet and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until the spinach wilts. Deglaze the pan with the Pernod, scraping up any brown bits. Season with salt and pepper and allow the mixture to cook down for a few minutes. Add to the oysters.
- Gently mix the Mornay sauce into the oyster mixture. Add a few dashes of the Tabasco sauce. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer the oyster mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the panko mixture all over the top. Dot with small bits of plain butter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top is browned and the oyster mixture is bubbly.
Recipe from: http://www.nibbledish.com/people/DivaChef/recipes/oysters-rockefeller-gratin
Changes were made. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/